Monday 8 June 2015

Chinese Phrasebook for International Travelers

To break the language barrier is the first and foremost thing when travelling in China, especially when you are backpacking in China. Despite the fact that Chinese kids are learning English from primary school onwards, it is still a barrier that most overseas travelers may come across. Therefore, you’re encouraged to bring with a Chinese Phrasebook or learn a few words and phrases in advance.

Here we offer you some of the most commonly used Chinese words and phrases, with simplified Chinese characters, pinyin (pronunciation), and the English translation.


ChinesePinyinEnglish
你好Nǐ hǎoHello/Hi
你好吗?Nǐ hǎo ma?How are you?
shìYes
不是bù shìNo
hǎoGood/ok
不好bù hǎonot good
谢谢xiè xiethank you
不客气bù kè qìYou are welcome
对不起Duì bù qǐI’m sorry
没关系Méi guan xiIt’s okay. (polite response to “I’m sorry”)
QǐngPlease
请问qǐng wènExcuse me
早上好zǎo shàng hǎoGood morning
下午好xià wǔ hǎoGood afternoon
晚上好Wǎn shàng hǎoGood evening
晚安Wǎn ‘ānGood night
很高兴认识你Hěn gāo xìng rèn shì nǐNice to meet you
再见Zài jiànGoodbye/ Bye-bye
你叫什么名字?Nǐ jiào shén me míng zi?What is your name?
我叫…Wǒ jiào …My name is…
我不会讲中文Wǒ bú huì jiáng zhōng wénI can’t speak Chinese
你会说英语吗?Nǐ huì shuō Yīng yǔ ma?Do you speak English?
我听不懂Wǒ tīng bù dǒngI don’t understand
这是什么?zhè shì shén me?What is this?
这是…zhè shì…This is …
我想要…Wǒ xiǎng yào…I want…
我不想要…Wǒ bù xiǎng yào…I don’t want…
多少钱duō shǎo qiánHow much is it?
几点钟Jǐ diǎn zhōngWhat’s the time?
我喜欢…Wǒ Xǐ huān…I like…
我不喜欢…Wǒ bù Xǐ huān…I don’t like …
duìRight/correct
不对bù duìWrong/incorrect
When You Need Help
洗手间在那里Xǐ shǒu jiān zài nǎ li?Where is the bathroom/toilet?
我饿了Wǒ è leI’m hungry
我渴了Wǒ kè leI’m thirsty
我累了Wǒ lèi leI’m tired
我迷路了wǒ mí lù leI’m lost
请帮助我Qǐng bāng zhù wǒPlease help me
我生病了wǒ sheng bìng leI’m sick
我受伤了wǒ shòu shāng leI’ve been injured
我需要医生wǒ xū yào yīshēngI need a doctor
我可以用您的电话吗?wǒ kě yǐ yòng nín de dian huà ma?Can I use your phone?
Numbers in Chinese
0líng 
1One
2èrTwo
3sānThree
4Four
5Five
6liùSix
7Seven
8Eight
9jiǔNine
10shíTen
100yībǎiOne hundred
1000Yī qiānOne thousand

No comments:

Post a Comment